Protectio Amoris 
Sources and parallels
- Possibly based on, figure of Cupid among the beasts and background landscape added, in: Protectio amoris.  (in: anonymous, Amoris divini et humani antipathia (1628)) [Compare]
- Parallel for the pictura (exact copy), the same Latin bible quote and French epigram in:'t Benaude hert, stilt hier zijn smert  (in: Jan van Hoogstraten, Zegepraal der goddelyke liefde (1709)) [Compare]
References, across this site, to this page:
IconclassUndisturbed by the attack of a lion, a leopard and a bear the soul looks up at the hand of God holding a cross
- God's perfections [11A23]
- the cross ~ symbols of Christ [11D12]
- Christ and the Soul [11D51]
- radiance emanating from persons or things [22C31]
- beasts of prey, predatory animals: bear (+ animal(s) attacking) [25F23(BEAR)(+512)]
- beasts of prey, predatory animals: leopard (+ animal(s) attacking) [25F23(LEOPARD)(+512)]
- beasts of prey, predatory animals: lion (+ animal(s) attacking) [25F23(LION)(+512)]
- hand (+ holding something) [31A2245(+933)]
- floating in the air (+ variant) [31A2763(+0)]
- looking upwards [31B6211]
- adult woman [31D15]
- the soul during lifetime [31G1]
- animals threatening man [34F1]
- Fearlessness, Intrepidity; 'Intrepidité & Costanza' (Ripa) (+ emblematical representation of concept) [54A81(+4)]
- Protection; 'Custodia', 'Difesa contra nimici, malefici & venefici', 'Difesa contra pericoli', 'Riparo da i tradimenti' (Ripa) (+ emblematical representation of concept) [54E42(+4)]
- (personifications and symbolic representations of) Love; 'Amore (secondo Seneca)' (Ripa) (+ emblematical representation of concept) [56F2(+4)]
- proverbs, sayings, etc. (with TEXT) [86(PROTECTIO AMORIS)]
Ps. 74. in the margin is incorrect: it is Psalm 34(35).
"Dominus illuminatio mea ... vitae meae": Ps. 26(27):1-4.
"vt edant carnes meas": in the Bible version of Ps. 26(27) this is followed by 'qui tribulant me et inimici mei', and only then there follows 'ipsi infirmati sunt' etc.
Eccl. [Jesus Sirach] 51:4.
"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? When the wicked, even mine enemies and my foes, came upon me to eat up my flesh, they stumbled and fell. Though an host should encamp against me, my heart shall not fear: though war should rise against me, in this will I be confident. One thing have I desired of the Lord, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life". (KJV) "The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life;of whom shall I be afraid? When evildoers assail me to devour my flesh my adversaries and foes they shall stumble and fall. Though an army encamp against me, my heart shall not fear; though war rise up against me, yet I will be confident. One thing I asked of the Lord, that will I seek after: to live in the house of the Lord all the days of my life". (NRSV)